More than 95 percent of Fortune 500 use Azure today! A huge number of organizations now use Azure AD as an Identity and Access Management platform using the hybrid cloud model. This makes it imperative to understand the risks associated with Azure as not only the Windows infrastructure and apps use it but also identities of users across an enterprise are authenticated using it. In addition to cloud-only identity, the ability to connect on-prem Active Directory, applications and infrastructure to Azure brings some very interesting opportunities and risks too. Often complex to understand, this setup of components, infrastructure and identity is a security challenge.
This hands-on training aims towards abusing Azure and a number of services offered by it. We will cover multiple complex attack lifecycles against a lab containing multiple live Azure tenants. All the phases of Azure red teaming and pentesting – Recon, Initial access, Enumeration, Privilege Escalation, Lateral Movement, Persistence and Data mining are covered. We will also discuss detecting and monitoring for the techniques we use. The course is a mixture of fun, demos, exercises, hands-on and lecture. The training focuses more on methodology and techniques than tools.
If you are a security professional trying to improve your skills in Azure cloud security, Azure Pentesting or Red teaming the Azure cloud this is the right class for you!
Top 3 takeaways
- Understand and practice attacks on Azure in a live lab environment that has multiple Azure tenants and a large number of different resources including hybrid identity and onprem infrastructure.
- Practice attacks on Azure in a live lab environment that has multiple Azure tenants and a large number of different resources including hybrid identity and on-prem infrastructure.
- Understand the defenses available to counter the discussed attacks and analyze the footprints of the attackers!
Following topics are covered:
- Introduction to Azure
- Discovery and Recon of services and applications
- Initial Access Attacks (Enterprise Apps, App Services, Logical Apps, Function Apps, secured Storage, Phishing, Consent Grant Attacks)
- Enumeration post authentication (Storage Accounts, Key vaults, Blobs, Automation Accounts, Deployment Templates etc.)
- Privilege Escalation (RBAC roles, Azure AD Roles, Across subscriptions)
- Lateral Movement (Pass-the-PRT, Pass-the-Certificate, Across Tenant, cloud to on-prem, on-prem to cloud)
- Lateral Movement (Across Tenant, cloud to on-prem, on-prem to cloud)
- Persistence techniques
- Data Mining
- Defenses, Monitoring and Auditing (CAP, PIM, Microsoft Defender for Cloud, JIT, Risk policies, MFA, MTPs, Azure Sentinel)
- Bypassing Defenses
- Defenses, Monitoring and Auditing
Why should you take this course?
This course helps in upskilling to one of the most coveted skill in information security – Azure security. Drawing from our experience of more than a decade to teach at hacker conferences, this hands-on course helps someone in improving their Azure security skills. The course lab is designed in a way that students can solve it in multiple ways! The lab also includes a CTF for those students who would like more challenge.
Who should take this course
Red teamers and penetration testers who want to improve on their Azure attack skills should take this class. Blue teamers, Azure administrators and security professionals who want to understand the approach and techniques of adversaries should take this class.
Basic understanding of Azure is desired but not mandatory
Hardware / Software Requirements
- System with 4 GB RAM and ability to install OpenVPN client and RDP to Windows boxes.
- Privileges to disable/change any antivirus or firewall.
What students will be provided with
- Attendees will get free one month access to a lab configured like an Enterprise network, during and after the training.
- In addition to that, learning aid like course slides, lab manual, walk-through videos and lab support till the lab access is active
Nikhil Mittal is a hacker, infosec researcher, speaker and enthusiast. His area of interest includes red teaming, Azure and active directory security, attack research, defense strategies and post exploitation research. He has 13+ years of experience in red teaming. He specializes in assessing security risks at secure environments that require novel attack vectors and “out of the box” approach. He has worked extensively on Azure, Active Directory attacks, defense and bypassing detection mechanisms. Nikhil has held trainings and boot camps for various corporate clients (in US, Europe and SE Asia), and at the world’s top information security conferences.
He has spoken/trained at conferences like DEF CON, BlackHat, BruCON and more. He is the founder of Altered Security – a company focusing on hands-on enterprise security learning – https://www.alteredsecurity.com
Twitter : @nikhil_mitt